Thursday, March 12, 2009

Economic Crisis

For everyone, who is not my brother, and is feeling a little lost about what is happening in with our economy and the options available to us to fix it, This American Life, has been doing a series of really informative (and simple! and clear!) shows on the economic crisis.

There are 3 shows so far, the latest of which, "Bad Banks", was actually the one I listened to first. After listening, I think I am actually prepared to have an intelligent, although limited, conversation on the subject. Not that I am demonstrating this at all in this blog. But go listen, be informed, so you don't sound like an asshole when talking about the economy like your local representative.

2 comments:

otis said...

Those are excellant. I'd give each of them an 'A', except for the one discussing fiscal stimulus (Part 2 of "The New Boss"), which gets a C+.

If I were teaching Macro or finance, those would be required listening.

Unknown said...

The guys also do a 3x per week podcast (linked to on that page) called Planet Money which takes more bite-sized chunks (about 20min each).

If you're a visual learner, American Public Media also does The Whiteboard which does short videos on financial topics. As a bonus, each video ends with that topic being a reason to go get your drink on!